In recent months, we have witnessed a myriad of fashion faux pas from major brands such as Prada, Gucci, H&M and Burberry (to name a few). The blunders, being of a particularly insensitive nature both racially and culturally, have sparked outrage in the black community and beyond. Whether these “oversights” were accidental or intentional one thing is for sure – there is an increasing motivation to support brands that celebrate diversity and empower those communities that are being marginalized, underrepresented and misrepresented in fashion. In the words of our forever FLOTUS, Michelle Obama, “When they go low, we go high.” Let’s channel our energies (and coins) not into fighting the old, but on building the new!
Today we are super excited to share ten of our favorite minority, women owned clothing, shoe and accessory brands to fit any occasion or budget. We highlight these companies for their quality of product, inclusion of diversity, and customer service.
1. Andrea Iyamah: A clothing line strongly inspired by color and ethnic cultures - popularly recognized for its eccentric and unique take on swimwear, also specializing in ready-to-wear and custom made special event dresses.
2. Chen Burkett New York: A lifestyle brand offering trend-forward quality clothing and accessories crafted from the boldest of prints. We love the versatility of this brand. The pieces can go to the office, happy hour, beach and board room!
3. Cushnie: A luxury women’s ready-to-wear and accessories brand with a mission to empower women, and to celebrate diversity and inclusion in all aspects of the business.
4. Fe Noel: This company’s motto is, “Eat well, travel often, and dress to inspire!” Need we say more?
5. Hanifa: A ready-to-wear designer line which features contemporary apparel for women. Feminine with chic simplicity. This company also offers ‘tall’ options for ladies that need more length.
6. Hyde Your Jewelry: Handmade leather artwear by Cody Curry. Custom leather jewelry designs and consults. We love the fun-loving nature of this brand!
7. Jennifer Le: A shoe and clothing brand that ‘effortlessly blurs the line between Runway and Streetwear’. Each pair is hand-finished using high quality materials and premium craftsmanship.
9. Mess in a Bottle: A t-shirt company that is emotional, thought provoking and expressive to the current climate of the world. Bonus: Khalilah Wright, owner of Mess in a Bottle, also hosts classes and has an e-book on how to start your own successful t-shirt business.
10. Tree Fairfax: Producing minimal leather goods that are long lasting with timeless designs. Each piece is hand cut and stitched using locally sourced, high quality leather.